Thursday, December 5, 2013

Nonfiction Literature Analysis

Topics and Events:

1.) In Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul  by New York Times best selling authors Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, and Kimberly Kirberger is about teens who write letters that explain situations they've been trough or things they have done. They send the authors their story's and the authors put them in the book. It is nonfiction because every letter they receive is something that actually happened to a teen. The authors have the stories categorized in section that relate to the same topic such as the following: on relationships, friendship, on family, on love and kindness, on learning, tough stuff, making a difference, and going for it. So in general it's stories that all of us have probably gone through and so have others. The authors make it into one book and we can read all about it and even relate to some of these stories.
2.) The authors choose to write about topics like these because it relates to teenagers everywhere. Some of the events have happened to teens.
3.) I choose to read this book because it's titled cached my attention. It came to my attention when we had ssr and Mr. Ostini  told us we had to choose a book and read, so I grabbed it and read the first few stories. The stories were so realistic I decided to read it and do my literary analysis on this.
4.) I found this book so realistic the stories were so true. I made so many connections with some of these stories because some of these actually have happened to me in my life.

People:

1.) The authors tone in this book is loving, kind, sadness, and excited. Those are probably the reason they wrote the book because we all have had all of these emotions once and have experienced these stories. There subjects they like to write about is about teens life.
2.) "I weighed about 125 pounds. I was not fat, but felt I could stand to loose a few pounds, (232). This character is using direct characterization.
3.) This person seems interesting to write about because she seems like shes has an ideal weight but thinks she isn't and wants to loose more. It gives you an idea that what shes planning to do may ruin her life.

1.)  "I was a very shy teenager, and so was my boyfriend" (14). "I was 18, about to start college and broke" (125).  These are both direct characterization. "I lay on the floor, furiously kicking my legs and screaming until my throat felt raw..."(67). "They didn't say say much-muttered sentences, comments about " your mother,"...(103). These are indirect
2.) After reading this book, I feel like I met so many new people. Their stories made me feel like I knew what they have been through. I related to some characters and what they been through. In one of these stories it talks about how someone committed suicide and how devastated everyone was I can relate to this because I have lost a friend this way.

Style:

1.)  The authors wrote this in a diary format.
2.) The authors focus on so many emotions depending on the characters topics.
3.) The tools the author demonstrates by using tone and mood are the titles they have.
4.) The authors attitude toward the subject was to let the readers that all teenagers go threw some of the same things. Also for us to feel like we met new characters.
5.) The resources the authors' used were cards and letters from teens. i think it mattered because we as teenagers feel more interested into reading something others have written that have had the same happen.

Enduring Memory:

I honestly feel like i'm going to remember the stories in this book. It caught my attention since the moment I got it and the stories were so real I won't be able to forget them. My favorite part in this book was reading the selection "tough stuff" it really opened my eyes. I would recommend this book to any teenager that wants to see how other teens feel. Its such a good book you'll be wanting to keep reading the stories and maybe even repeat some of them. It also has some funny pictures with captions.

No comments:

Post a Comment